Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I commute therefore I am

It is one of the horrors of my life that I inevitably seem to get jobs in central London. I keep trying to do otherwise, to be 'normal' and have a job close to home, but every time I've tried, as sure as the sun rises in the East I get moved to central London.

This is a problem.

For most of London it takes me in the region of one and one half hours door to door. In one job it was around two hours. That means three hours a day, 15 hours a week, or approximately 90 working days a year, essentially doing very little. Sure, I read, sometimes I snooze, I do what email I can, but its generally non productive, and non relaxing time. Yes, I can read, but reading stuffed in a too small seat jammed between others, with all of the attendant sights, smells and sounds of a crouded train carraige is NOT relaxing.

It is a best a divergance.

Sadly, of the two jobs I am currently in competition for, one is in central London, one is, horror of horrors, in the London suburbs and would require me to drive. Driving on a race track or off road, is fun, driving during peak school journey rush hour, is NOT fun.

I think if I could change just one thing about my life, it would be this. Poor me...

|



<< Home